In loving memory of Sonny Marus

Fund Type: Memorial Donations

Powhatan Point, OH

Fundraiser ends on March 29, 2022

All memorial contributions will go to Powhatan Library in Sonny's name.

The Powhatan Point Public Library has had quite the tumultuous history. Established in 1952 as a
branch of the Martins Ferry Public Library, the Powhatan Point Public Library was formed by plans laid out by
the Powhatan Point Rotary Club. This led to the formation of a local Library Commission, entrusted to
represent the wishes of the community. This group was able to raise $1500, through local contributions, to assist
in equipping the Powhatan Point Public Library with the most advanced materials at the time.
From its initial conception, the Powhatan Point Public Library had occupied three buildings by 1982 due
to numerous devastating floods. On Sunday, January 31, 1982 the library was completely destroyed in a
devastating fire which also claimed multiple apartments and the Powhatan Feed Mill. In June of 1982, the
library was reopened with much celebration on First St. in the former Novelty Cash Store building. Thanks to
the generosity of the Powhatan patrons, over $1800 in contributions were collected to aide in the reopening
effort. The library remained in that location until 2002.
The grand re-opening of the current location at 339 N. Ohio 7 was officially commenced for the public
March 23, 2002. Director Yvonne Myers, speaking with the local media, touted the new branch as a “more
modern facility” that would allow Powhatan Point patrons to “connect to the rest of the world via the internet”,
as well as giving patrons access to materials from the vast library system throughout the state of Ohio. Thanks
to a major investment by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Powhatan Public Library was presented
with brand new, up-to-date computers for public use. She called the move to the new location, a “step up from
the alternative—the bookmobile” promoting the libraries vast offerings of books, movies, and large-print
materials that were not a part of the old facility.

Read more

This fundraiser has been created in partnership with
Bauknecht-Altmeyer Funeral Home
186 Main St., Powhatan Point, OH 43942

Displaying 0 of 0 comments

No Comments have been posted to this Fundraiser yet.

Thank you for filling this jar with love and support! $300 raised

Raised by 3 people in 30 days
Fundraiser has ended

This fundraiser is now closed. For more information, please contact us at info@tmcfunding.com

  • Recent Donations
  • Top Contributors

$100.00

MARJORIE A BAUMBERGER 836 days ago

$100.00

Anonymous 844 days ago

$100.00

Roetzel and Andress 845 days ago

$100.00

Roetzel and Andress 845 days ago

$100.00

Anonymous 844 days ago

$100.00

MARJORIE A BAUMBERGER 836 days ago